Skip to main content

Quilts with stars! Stars Oh My!

have been working on a new quilt pattern that I made in EQ7!

All the fabric for this quilt came from Joann's. I know there will be quilters out there that will cringe at the thought but I am an equal opportunity quilter! I have a quilt that I  started in the early 90's and finished a few years ago that is made from this type of fabric. I have washed it a lot and have never had any issues with it.

If you look closely you can see that the whites don't match in some places.  This quilt is very far from perfect but I really do love it!

I have been in quilt stores where I have over heard the owner criticizing a new quilter for her fabric selection that came from a big box fabric store. It really made me angry. When you start out with any new hobby you usually start off with the cheapest material to test the waters and hone your skills. It really doesn't make sense to buy expensive fabric when you are not sure of the out come.

Most quilters from the  old days used whatever fabric was available.   My grandmother used polyester! I know! Yuck! But that is the kind of fabric that was available to her.  I think you should use what you like. Be creative if money is tight. Don't discourage new quilters by giving them limitations. Not everything you make will be a show quilt or even a heirloom quilt.

So if you want to critique my fabric choices then so be it! I don't always follow the crowd. I am a rebel like that! Ha!

Back to the quilt I am making! I have decided to try a method of gluing my pieces with water solvable glue from a blog I read. Sorry I don't remember which one right at the moment.

I use a very thin stripe of glue on the edge and iron the prices together. So far I like it.

One of the benefits to this method is the back of the block stays string free for the most part. It also makes it easy to do several seams in a block at once.

Hard to tell from the picture!

That's it for now! 


Popular posts from this blog

Kern County Fair and Cowboy Quilts! Updated!

The fair is coming to Bakersfield next week.  I thought I would honor the fair by talking about my cowboy boot quilt I made for my sister-in-law last year.

I made this quilt before I bought my Handi Quilter longarm.  The quilt was quilted on my Bernina.  I marked the quilt before quilting and also did some free motion quilting on it.  I wish I would of took a picture of the setup I had for the Bernina.

I had the sewing machine in our great room on a small fold up table.  We bought a Styrofoam insulation board and cut it up to fit around the sewing machine to make a wide flat surface.  The styrofoam was an inch and a half thick I believe and we doubled it up to bring it to the surface of the sewing machine.  It worked out pretty well.  I still wouldn't go back to it now that I have a longarm.

The thing I hated the most about quilting on my Bernina was sandwiching the quilt on the ground.  I am too old for that.... well at least I feel like I am! It sure was a lot of work.  Sometimes …

Free quilt Patterns!

I thought I would start the day off offering some of my free quilt patterns on my blog.
Most of these are available on Craftsy but I know not everyone has an account at Craftsy.

First up is a quilt I made for my Grandsons.  I call it "Which way is up!"  It is made with large flying geese.  Click for free PDF Pattern.

This quilt would look great in a variety of fabric.  I colored it in fabric from Laundry Basket Quilts and I think it would look fantastic with this color way!

Next is my "Rose Pineapple Quilt".  I love this little quilt.  The pattern does not include the appliqué you see in the picture.  It only has the paper piecing blocks. Click for Rose Pineapple Pattern.

The last free pattern for today is the Flying Kite paper pieced block.  Click here for the Flying Kite Pattern.  This is a fun block to make and a super simple paper pieced pattern if you have never tried paper piecing. I don't have a picture of the actual block I made.  I must of forgotten t…

Christmas is coming! Free Trio Christmas Tree Pattern

Don't you just love Christmas fabric?
All the beautiful colors and sparkle, especially the sparkle!
How about a free Christmas Tree pattern? Click Here
I originally had this pattern on Craftsy for free.  Since Craftsy took the ability to search for patterns away I decided to remove it.  Maybe a hasty decision! This pattern has been downloaded 10,000 times!  The only place you can get it right now is on this blog.

The first step in creating this pattern is to paper piece the Christmas trees. Next you will add the background and the bottom piece.  Adding the background for the curved tree is not hard but if you haven't done any curved piecing then this could be a challenge for you.

Once you have your tree block pieced, it is time to add the sashing. Add the sashing in between the blocks first, then add the bottom and top.  The last step is to add the side sashing.
Add the borders and you are done with the top!  This quilt was quilted on my longarm but you could easily quilt it o…