Skip to main content

Modern DWR Quilts

I have heard from many people on the quilt boards that they don't like Double Wedding Ring Quilts.
I am not a fan of the traditional design.  I especially do not like the ones with the odd melon shapes where the rings are not round.

The very first quilt that I bought out of the department store was a double wedding ring.  It was the first time I ever spent that much on bedding!  I loved that quilt and it is still in the family. That quilt represented I time in my life were I was starting to not have to struggle for ever last dime. It is when I started my job at my current place of employment.  That was 17 years ago.

I had been looking at double wedding rings for a while and I was thinking that I would like to make one. I wanted a more modern one with out little flowers on the fabric which the one I bought had.

I bought the pattern from Sew Kind of Wonderful for their Metro Rings but never even read it. I have a problem with following other peoples patterns.  I always want to redesign them.  I love the pattern and I think I will force myself to make it some day.

What I really wanted was a Wedding Ring Quilt with big rings.  So I started drafting one up. I really had no idea how the original ones where designed.  I just started drawing rings and joining them.

Well that started my obsession! Now I have all these ideas for designs and not enough time to try them out.  I am wondering when I will get bored and move on.

The first sample I did was for a large quilt I was think of making.



 I had no idea how to put a wedding ring quilt together so the piecing is not that great on this one.  Though I still love the bright colors.  I just used some scrap to make it.

I bought the Craftsy Class on Double Wedding ring quilts and that helped to understand how to put it together.

I revised the pattern because all the seams coming together at the end of the melons drove me nuts.
The picture below is the revised pattern.  I also still have the pattern with the checked background.
I have a bunch of Indigo fabric that I would like to use for this pattern.  This pattern is called "For the Love of Indigo".

The Next Sample was for one that is a little simpler. I call this pattern Color Splash.  I used scrap again to create the sample.  I was thinking the fabric was really ugly until I quilted it!







The quilt guild I belong to had a challenge.  You had to make a quilt that was red, white and blue with other colors if you choose and it had to be under 50".  So I decided to try another variation of the quilt called "Radiant Sun".

 Here is the quilt before I have put the binding on.  I am currently finishing the binding now.



This is a picture with it on the quilting frame.  I digitized all the quilting patterns for this quilt. I also SID every seam.



I think I will modify the quilting pattern to include something more at the point.

Here is a picture of the paper pieced patterns I made for this quilt.

This quilt took a heck of a long time to finish.  I think I will go back and modify the pattern some.  It was very challenging to piece.

Below is the Color Splash quilt version of the DWR I am working. It will be quilted like the sample above but with colored thread.


I have a ton of color versions for this quilt.  Here are some of my favorites.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kern County Fair and Cowboy Quilts! Updated!

The fair is coming to Bakersfield next week.  I thought I would honor the fair by talking about my cowboy boot quilt I made for my sister-in-law last year. I made this quilt before I bought my Handi Quilter longarm.  The quilt was quilted on my Bernina.  I marked the quilt before quilting and also did some free motion quilting on it.  I wish I would of took a picture of the setup I had for the Bernina. I had the sewing machine in our great room on a small fold up table.  We bought a Styrofoam insulation board and cut it up to fit around the sewing machine to make a wide flat surface.  The styrofoam was an inch and a half thick I believe and we doubled it up to bring it to the surface of the sewing machine.  It worked out pretty well.  I still wouldn't go back to it now that I have a longarm. The thing I hated the most about quilting on my Bernina was sandwiching the quilt on the ground.  I am too old for that.... well at least I feel like I am! It sure was a lot of work.  Som

Color Splash DWR (Double Wedding Ring) Quilt is Finished!

The first time I remember ever seeing a Double Wedding Ring quilt was about 20 years ago.   I had finally came to a place in my life where I could afford to get a new bedspread for my bed.  I had never spent the money to buy a bedspread! I was always too poor. When I went to the department store I found this lovely wedding ring quilt! It was on sale but I think I paid almost $200 dollars for it! That was a big purchase for me. That quilt is still in the family, though it was a quilt from the department store I loved it just the same. Last year I started thinking about that quilt. I thought I would like to make a double wedding ring but I didn't want it to have a bunch of flower fabric in it as in the one I bought. I also wanted the rings to be bigger. I am a trained drafter and I have always created my own patterns for all my assorted hobbies! So I went to work drafting rings in the AutoCAD program I use.  I really had no idea how the original wedding ring patterns were create

End of the year catch up!

The year is almost over.   Here are some things I have been working on. I finish my little Christmas Tree Paper Pieced quilt pattern.  My son had filmed a video of me making it that I wanted to post on my website, but he has been distracted and hasn't finished it. If you are interested in the pattern it is located on my website.   Please understand that I wrote the instructions quickly because I meant to also post the video.  If my son completes it I will.   http://www.cluttercreations.com/quilting/quilt-patterns.html I know this is really late in posting this since Christmas is over, but you could always just make it a tree quilt! I also created a small quilt for the turkey hand contest at work.  So I won second place.  I didn't see the first place winner. I just realized that the turkey is missing his eyes in this picture!  They must of came off when I brought it home.  Just picture it with those movable eyes!  I will have to find some more eyes to put on it.