Skip to main content

Restoring a 1930's Quilt

What do you do with an old quilt top?
My step Dad's wife had a quilt top her mother made that she wanted me to create two quilts with for her daughters. The sashing was coming apart and the top needed a good cleaning.  It looked like it had some type of glue on some parts of it.

At first I thought I could repair the sashing and divide the top into two as she suggested.  But the sashing was partly machine sewn and hand sewn.  Very strange.
So I decide to take it apart instead. After it was apart I soaked the whole thing in Retro Clean for a day.  Man the water was brown when I went to pull it out! I nice cold rinse and I quick toss in the dry on a cool setting.

I then Ironed and starched every piece.  After that I trimmed everything even.  The sashing was different sizes.  No wonder it looked weird.  I don't have any pictures of the before quilt top.

I had a couple of sashing pieces that were damaged by the glue that I didn't want to put back in the quilt.  Because I divided the quilt top into two I also need some sashing and cornerstones to complete one of the quilts.  I tried reproducing the color and had it printed on Spoonflower but it didn't match.  I also recreated a couple of the fabrics in the quilts to have printed for the binding.  Below is a picture of one of the quilts with out the sashing on the bottom.  This picture is after the quilt top was re-pieced.
My reasoning for resewing the quilt to is two-fold.  First I wasn't able to repair it with the wonky sashing and quilt it on the longarm without issues.  Second, I felt that this woman put so much work into the beautiful appliqué and embroidery that it would be ashamed to do a half-ass job on it.  I know if it was my quilt top I would want the person to make it as beautiful as they can.  I also wanted the ladies that were going to own these quilts to love them and want to display them.

At first I didn't have the right color of fabric to add a border around the quilt.  My local quilt shops were out of the Kona snow that would of been the right color.  So I tea died the border fabric to get it to match. It defiantly looked better but in the sun it is still whiter than the original fabric.  You can see the border fabric in the picture below. Oh by the way, I did end up finding a green and pink to finish the sashing with!
It took me about 4 months to finish these quilts.  I had a lot going on and I custom quilted both of them. The quilts were about 60"x75".
The quilting was a combination of freemotion quilting and computerized quilting.  The sashing and borders where done with the computer.  I also stitched in the ditch around all the appliqué and sashing. I ended up stitching on the appliqué to stabilize it too.
These quilts really made me love the 1930's fabrics.  I found myself designing quilts with the reproduction fabrics available today.  Stay tuned for my newest Accuquilt pattern!

I don't seem to have a picture of the first completed quilt.  The first picture in this blog is the other quilt top.
Don't be afraid to finish that old quilt top and bring it back to life. Diana was trilled with the finished quilts! I wanted to also add the beautiful lady that made this quilt top.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kern County Fair and Cowboy Quilts! Updated!

The fair is coming to Bakersfield next week.  I thought I would honor the fair by talking about my cowboy boot quilt I made for my sister-in-law last year.

I made this quilt before I bought my Handi Quilter longarm.  The quilt was quilted on my Bernina.  I marked the quilt before quilting and also did some free motion quilting on it.  I wish I would of took a picture of the setup I had for the Bernina.

I had the sewing machine in our great room on a small fold up table.  We bought a Styrofoam insulation board and cut it up to fit around the sewing machine to make a wide flat surface.  The styrofoam was an inch and a half thick I believe and we doubled it up to bring it to the surface of the sewing machine.  It worked out pretty well.  I still wouldn't go back to it now that I have a longarm.

The thing I hated the most about quilting on my Bernina was sandwiching the quilt on the ground.  I am too old for that.... well at least I feel like I am! It sure was a lot of work.  Sometimes …

End of the year catch up!

The year is almost over.  
Here are some things I have been working on.

I finish my little Christmas Tree Paper Pieced quilt pattern.  My son had filmed a video of me making it that I wanted to post on my website, but he has been distracted and hasn't finished it.

If you are interested in the pattern it is located on my website.   Please understand that I wrote the instructions quickly because I meant to also post the video.  If my son completes it I will.  http://www.cluttercreations.com/quilting/quilt-patterns.html



I know this is really late in posting this since Christmas is over, but you could always just make it a tree quilt!

I also created a small quilt for the turkey hand contest at work.  So I won second place.  I didn't see the first place winner.

I just realized that the turkey is missing his eyes in this picture!  They must of came off when I brought it home.  Just picture it with those movable eyes!  I will have to find some more eyes to put on it.



I finished quilting a …

Finished Stars Oh My Quilt

Here are some updated pictures of my Stars quilt.  The glue basting worked ok.  I wish I would of starched the fabric better before cutting the pieces out.  There is a lot of bias on the star blocks.

My daughter loved the quilt!  I think the pattern turned out nice.