Skip to main content

Flying Geese and Grandsons!

I have two grandsons that just turned 4!  They are the cutest little guys ever. Of course we all think that about our kids, grandkids and pets!  I have 6 grandkids and now we have added 3 more step-grandkids.  I have been trying to make them all a quilt.  I only have done 4 so far.

The newest granddaughter got a chenille quilt when she was born.  If you have never heard of them or done one let me explain.

You layer 4 layers of flannel together and stitch straight lines on the diagonal about an 1/2" apart.  Then you take and cut through 3 of the layers in-between the lines of quilting to create the chenille.  It is very time consuming! I think I will try quilting the channels on a longarm sometime.



Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the quilt.  I put a minky binding on it and machine finished it as you can see in the picture.  I hated it so I ripped it out and hand stitched it!

Your probably wondering what about flying geese?  I made these quilts for my grandsons.  I wanted large flying geese laid out in a row to form an arrow.  These are 6 x 12 flying geese.  I used the flying geese ruler to cut them.  I think it was much easier that way.

I quilted the quilts differently and put a flannel back on both of them with cute little cars on one and trucks on the other.  I think I like the circle quilting better but it was a pain to line up each row on the longarm.



The last picture was taken before I put the binding on.  I really need to use my camera to take pictures instead of my phone. The top picture was taken with my camera. I think it looks much better!

I think if I have time I will make a pattern for this quilt and put it on the blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kern County Fair and Cowboy Quilts! Updated!

The fair is coming to Bakersfield next week.  I thought I would honor the fair by talking about my cowboy boot quilt I made for my sister-in-law last year. I made this quilt before I bought my Handi Quilter longarm.  The quilt was quilted on my Bernina.  I marked the quilt before quilting and also did some free motion quilting on it.  I wish I would of took a picture of the setup I had for the Bernina. I had the sewing machine in our great room on a small fold up table.  We bought a Styrofoam insulation board and cut it up to fit around the sewing machine to make a wide flat surface.  The styrofoam was an inch and a half thick I believe and we doubled it up to bring it to the surface of the sewing machine.  It worked out pretty well.  I still wouldn't go back to it now that I have a longarm. The thing I hated the most about quilting on my Bernina was sandwiching the quilt on the ground.  I am too old for that.... well at least I feel like I am! It sure was a lot of work.  Som

Color Splash DWR (Double Wedding Ring) Quilt is Finished!

The first time I remember ever seeing a Double Wedding Ring quilt was about 20 years ago.   I had finally came to a place in my life where I could afford to get a new bedspread for my bed.  I had never spent the money to buy a bedspread! I was always too poor. When I went to the department store I found this lovely wedding ring quilt! It was on sale but I think I paid almost $200 dollars for it! That was a big purchase for me. That quilt is still in the family, though it was a quilt from the department store I loved it just the same. Last year I started thinking about that quilt. I thought I would like to make a double wedding ring but I didn't want it to have a bunch of flower fabric in it as in the one I bought. I also wanted the rings to be bigger. I am a trained drafter and I have always created my own patterns for all my assorted hobbies! So I went to work drafting rings in the AutoCAD program I use.  I really had no idea how the original wedding ring patterns were create

End of the year catch up!

The year is almost over.   Here are some things I have been working on. I finish my little Christmas Tree Paper Pieced quilt pattern.  My son had filmed a video of me making it that I wanted to post on my website, but he has been distracted and hasn't finished it. If you are interested in the pattern it is located on my website.   Please understand that I wrote the instructions quickly because I meant to also post the video.  If my son completes it I will.   http://www.cluttercreations.com/quilting/quilt-patterns.html I know this is really late in posting this since Christmas is over, but you could always just make it a tree quilt! I also created a small quilt for the turkey hand contest at work.  So I won second place.  I didn't see the first place winner. I just realized that the turkey is missing his eyes in this picture!  They must of came off when I brought it home.  Just picture it with those movable eyes!  I will have to find some more eyes to put on it.